Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel: Changing a cell value with a formula in that cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyam131

Technical User
Aug 29, 2003
US
I want to change the value in a cell in Excel without placing a formula in that cell. For example say I had the Value "True" in cell A1. Now I want a formula in cell A2 that can change the value in cell A1 to "False" if cell C1=3. Does any one have any idea how to accomplish this? I cannont use VB for various reasons. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi,

Functions change values in the cell that they reside. Can't change the value in any other cell.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

I can't work out why you can't use a formula - what is the reason?

VB I understand, but why can't you have an if function in the cell? I know you said no formulas . . .

Simon,

Don't understand your question. Functions are used in formulas. Formulas/Expressions/Functions return a value to the cell in which they are entered -- NO WHERE ELSE!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...

Skip - I think Simon's question was directed to shyam131 regarding
shyam131 said:
without placing a formula in that cell

Rgds, Geoff

Three things are certain. Death, taxes and lost data. DPlank is to blame

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

The reason I cannot put a formula in a cell is because I am trying to change the value of a check box control in execl, if I were to put a formula in the cell the check box is linked to the link to the check box is broken.....I understand that a function returns something, I just want it to return something to different cell than were the formula is contained....maybe this is not possible??!?!?

no - it is not. Not without code

Rgds, Geoff

It's not possible to do what you want to do without VB code. What is the reason for NOT using VBA?

Skip,
[sub]

I don't want to use VBA becuase I am distributing a survey in excel via email. Given problems with emails systems and users macro security level setting, distributing the survey with VBA in it will be more trouble than its worth.

SP

well - you're a bit stuck then aren't you ??

Personally, I have distributed a fair number of surveys / info gathering exercises via excel and using VBA. Never had any isues as long as you set it up properly. Tehre is a standard workaround for users who disable macros and to be honest, that is the only major concern you should have regarding using VBA. Shouldn't cause any issues whatsoever with email systems.

Rgds, Geoff

First, you inform your list of users that the survey will follow.

Then you send the survey w/VBA as Geoff suggested.

If you want to go this route, and need some guidance with the process, then post in the VBA Forum707. Otherwise, there is not other help that we can provide.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back