Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Cell References not working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazminecat23

Programmer
Mar 16, 2007
US
Hi all - I have what should be a simple problem.

I need three cells in a row to have the same reference -
=BudgetStatus!G4

They were working fine until I had to go in and make changes.

Now, if I go into any of them, when I exit the cell, instead of showing the value in =BudgetStatus!G4 they show "=BudgetStatus!G4" instead (quotes mine). For example, if the value in =BudgetStatus!G4 is 740, these cells should show 740, but instead they say =BudgetStatus!G4.

If i go back to the original in which they were working, and copy over from one cell to the next, of course they make relative references, and then when I go in to change the F4 to say G4, it goes back to only showing the formula in the cell and not making the calculation.

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you!

Hi,

1) The Cell Format needs to be GENERAL. Do you have TEXT?

2) Use only ONE reference to the other worksheet. Other cells reference THAT cell. OR change the referenc to ABSOLUTE ROW & COLUMN (F4)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

One of two things comes to mind:

[tab]- Cells are formatted as text
To check for this, change the formatting to general, go to one of the cells and press [F2], then [Enter]

[tab]- Show Formulas is enabled
Press [Alt] + [`] (That's the key to the left of the 1 at the top left of your keyboard.) That's a keyboard shortcut to toggle Show Formulas. The long way to look for this is go to Tools > Options > View and ensure that Show Formulas is not checked.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

:lightbulb:

Ah, they were indeed formatted as text! Thanks y'all!! You saved me yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back