Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Cell character Limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBilensky

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2001
US
I have a spreadsheet with a column labeled Comments.
In one of the cells under the Comments column has a large amount of information. Words, letters, numbers and characters are entered into this cell.
Not all the information entered is being displayed.

My question is:
Is there a limitation to the number of characters that can be entered into one particular cell?

FYI- This cell is linked to another sheet within the Workbook. It also has already been merged with additional cells and the data shifts and displays blank lines then the incomplete data. Even after merging the cells and providing enough room for the characters the spreadsheet is not displaying all that is entered. In addition I have also gone through the formatting of the cells in question and double checked what I thought was all possibilities. I am running Office 2000.

Hi Tom,

I am running Office 97 and the cell limitation is 32,000 characters (text) or 1024 characters (formula).

I don't know if this is any help for you.

regards,

Peter Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

Peter was correct. The dispaly will show 1024 characters and the formula bar will disply up to 32,000+ character.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back