Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel - Autofilter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

p26974

Technical User
Dec 30, 2003
GB
Using Excel 2000:

When I autofilter data in a worksheet, on occasions the filters 'lock up', preventing me un-filtering the data.

As the filtered-out data is then effectively hidden, I have to de-activate Auto-filter on the Data menu, manually unhide the rows on the sheet, and reactivate the filter. The filters then work fine for a while, until the problem recurs.

Any thoughts??

could possibly be editing a cell or running a macro at the same time as trying to change the filter?

Matt

Nothing else going on at the same time - this is a Macro-free, directly copied list of data. No formulae, nothing.

A colleague has done a search and apparently Microsoft are aware of a problem which causes Autofilter to fail, but don't acknowledge that it's 'their' problem.

Hi p26974:

Have you tried using AdvancedFilter instead? and also extract the filtered records to another location ... so you have ready access to both the original data and the filtered records at the same time.

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
Energy Efficient Building Network LLC

Do you happen to have frozen panes or a window split when autofilter is locking up ?

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Hi Geoff

Nothing - it's just a plain sheet of data; no freezes, no splits, nothing.

I've spoken to someone who says he spotted it happen in another sheet, which contained array formulae. He was told to go into the VBA sheet properties, as for some reason the Filter option had switched to False, but there's no reason why such a switch would occur (unless anyone can tell me different!)

How large is your data?

Does the autofilter freeze after a few uses over sevaral instances or in one instance of Excel, multiple filtering?

There are definitely no formulae, right?

How big is your xlb file on your system, if one exists?

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back