Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel auto-calculate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

MIS
Jun 19, 1999
US
My Excel 97 worksheet won't auto-calculate. I change the setting in 'Tools', save the changes and it auto-calculates just as it should. I close the worksheet, reopen and it's back to not auto-calculating again. How can I make it save my preference?

TIA!

Excel is a bit funny with the settings for each workbook that is open. Make sure when you open it there are no other workbooks open in excel. then check the setting. Set it to auto calculate then save it.

If another workbook is open with Manual calculate excel is likely to set Manual calulate to other open workbooks.

It depends on the order in which you open workbooks.

Thanks for your prompt reply, but there were no other workbooks open. There is more than one worksheet in the 'offending' workbook, however ... could that be an issue?

No not really unless you have set Manual Calculation on one of the other sheets. Excel assigns Manual Calculation to an entire workbook.

Did you try opening it, setting it to auto, then saving it.

I only have one workbook open, and it has a number of worksheets. Do I have to change the preference settings on each worksheet? I misstated in my original message - after changing the settings I close the workbook - not just the worksheet. When I reopen the workbook, autocalculate is back to being turned off.

I was hoping there would be an easy fix to this!

Auto and Manual Calculate is on for the Entire Workbook. You can not set it for individual sheets.

If It is the ONLY WORKBOOK open when you SAVE it with Auto Calculate and it is the FIRST AND ONLY WORKBOOK you OPEN then auto calculate should still be set.

If it isn't the only thing I can think of is that there is a macro setting it to Manual Calculate everytime you open it.

If you like you can send me the file and I can check it.

dark_suns@lycos.com

Does your computer have a file named book.xlt that is saved in your xlstart directory? (perhaps done to customize new workbooks, which happened to be saved with calculation off?)
If so, resave template with calculation off, or delete book.xlt if you desire no automatic customization of new workbooks

All you have to do is in the 'total' cell, type in the formula for the sum that you want calculating and excel shold auto-calculate for you.

MOOBY
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back