Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Attachments Will Not Open In Outlook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cking2

Technical User
May 16, 2002
US
I am having problems opening Excel 2000 attachments I receive in Outlook 2000. I receive the error message "System could not find the specified file". I have also developed the problem of not being able to open Excel documents thru Windows Explorer. When I try to open documents I get the error message "Cannot find the file C:\Filename (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." The only way I can open the documents is to open Excel First then open the document in Excel. Can anyone please help?

Check your file associations. Go to My Computer>Tools>Folder Options. Select File Types tab. Scroll down to the XLS Extension and highlight it.
Click the Advanced button and double click Open.
In the Application used to perform action, scroll to the end of the path shown in the panel.
The path probably shows ".....\EXCEL.EXE" /e. If so, delete the /e and enter: "%1".
Include the double quotation marks when you do this.
This should let you open the files. This action sets your system to open long names that have spaces or other non text/number characters in the name.
This will work for any of the MS apps.

Thanks KatherineCoombs! The very first article did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back