Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel attachment opens but no data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
US
I have an Excel attachment from an e-mail that opens to Excel, however, there is no file in there. I've tried everthing. When I open the attachment in view, it is in there - I can see it. Does anyone know whats going on?

Click on WINDOW and then UNHIDE. The workbook [filename] should be listed there.

UNHIDE it and that should resolve the problem.

I have tried that - it isn't hidden. Any other suggestions? Your help is appreciated.

When I open the attachment in view, it is in there - I can see it. Does anyone know whats going on?

What does it mean? Can you describe it in details?

Wondering if you just have a file association problem.

If you save the file attachment as a file and then open Excel and then open the file does it show up? If so then I would check the file association for .XLS files.

See if the command line for OPEN ends with "%1" after the path that calls the excel.exe program. So it should look something like

"C:\program files\Office......excel.exe" "%1"
joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

doldol320 is right. We need more [red]details[/red]!

Do you see the file in the regular file managers ("My Computer/ Explore/IE/File Manager (Win 3.x)" ?

How do you access the file (through EXCEL or through one of the above file managers)

Did you try DOWNLOADing the file again to the hard drive instead of keeping it compressed in the Email prog?

When you open the file in EXCEL what do you see? (The gray backdrop like the file is minimized? The 50% gray like using VIEW > Page BREAKS? All while like the columns/rows are wider/higher than the screen size?)

Have you typed "A1" in the Label/Location box in the top left corner?

Is this on a network where you have limited permissions?

What details can you provide? What steps have you taken already? Details please.

--MiggyD It's better to have two heads to solve a problem from different angles than to have tunnel vision to a dead end.

Have someone send another type of attachment, text and also a Word document. This could point you towards this being an email problem and NOT an excel problem.

BTW, what email software are you using? I had this same problem at one time with Outlook, then the back room guys fixed it. I could ask what they did, if you have the same type of problem with other attachments.

It was sent using Notes. When I open it, Excel launches and the part of the screen where the data belongs is gray. The cell reference box refers to a cell and shows data in the cell. I have tried launching direct from e-mail, detaching and launching from Excel, and launching from Explorer. I have also tried sending the file to a different computer that uses Outlook and launching there but the same problem exists. Since I needed to utilize the data in the file, my only option was to view the e-mail, copy and paste it into a new file - that worked. I'd still be interested in suggestions because I know of a couple other people that have run into this problem without any resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back