Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEl as datasource in FM (ODBC connection)

Status
Not open for further replies.

churchy80

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2008
US
Hi,

I am trying to add an excel file as a datasource to a FM model. I created the excel driver in control "panel/Administrative tools/Data sources" but when i create and test the ODBC datasource on cognos conection i get "QE-DEF-0285 QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed." error.
Cognos server and excel file are both installed in my local machine, so when i create the excel driver i input the local path of the file "c:\documents and setting\......\file.xls", is that correct? or may i have to set the path in other format?

Another issue is that when i create the datasource on cognos connection, i dont know what to set in "ODBC connect string" property, i only set " ODBC data source" with the DNS.

Should i have to install Composite information server to create excel datasources?

Cognos conection anf FM are installed at the same machine, localhost.

Thanks in advance.

i get this error:

QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed.
QE-DEF-0323 The DSN(ODBC)/ServiceName is invalid. Either the DSN is missing or the host is inaccessible.
RQP-DEF-0068 Unable to connect to at least one database during a multi-database attach to 1 database(s) in:
testDataSourceConnection

UDA-SQL-0031 Unable to access the "testDataSourceConnection" database.
UDA-SQL-0532 Data Source is not accessible: "pruebaEXCEL".
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
RSV-SRV-0042

Excel file should be closed as a datasource and has to be local to the Cognos server:

The steps are the same as they would be for any ODBC data source:

1. Create a system DSN in the Windows ODBC Administrator. Note: The excel file must be local to the Cognos server.

2. Create a new data source in Cognos Connection, select ODBC (Windows only) option.

3. Enter the system DSN name you created in Step 1 under ODBC data source property.

Ties Blom

Hi blom,
I already done that, but i get the error message i pasted above... do you have any clue about what's going wrong?

thanks

No, not really. But I would suggest NOT placing files in the 'documents and settings' path.
Data should be in a data-partition (like a D: if it exists)
Documents and settings is not for data-files , it should store user-specific information.
To test place the file in the c:\ root folder and change the local path of the connection..

Ties Blom

Thanks for your help blom,
It works... the problem was i created a user DSN in instead of System DSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back