Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel and Bullets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learning123

Programmer
May 12, 2002
US
Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to put bullets in cells like a word document?

Example:
*Subject1
*Subject2
*Subject3

If not, do you know any alternatives? which still use excel?
As alwasy Much big thank you for everyone's help!

Not really sure what you're asking. However, bullets as in a normal Word document, where you can tab and it all lines up neatly doesn't happen in Excel.
As a workaround, you may want to place your bullets next to the text and then say space twice or thrice. OR you may wish to place your bullets in a separate column just before the text you wish to place it in. This gives a neater appearance when printing and you can adjust the width to suit the space you desire.

Hope this was of assistance or makes sense in the very least.
Cheers
Mik

Hi Learning123,

Yes, you can insert bullets. I don't know of any "automatic" method like in Word or PowerPoint, but I created the following routine that will work just as well...

Sub Insert_Bullet()
curcell = ActiveCell.Value
ActiveCell.Value = "l " & curcell
With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=1).Font
.Name = "Wingdings"
.FontStyle = "Regular"
.Size = 10
End With
End Sub

This of course requires that you have (or obtain) the "Wingdings" font. However, I believe this font is one of the regular Windows fonts.

I hope this helps. Please advise as you how you make out with it.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

The option I like is inserting an 'object' of 'Word' which will allow creating bullets including all the other features of Word as well.

The option I like is inserting an 'object' of 'Word' which will allow creating bullets including all the other features of Word as well.

The option I like is to insert an "object" of "Word". This will allow us not only to use bullets, but also use all other features of Word as well.

The option I like is to insert an "object" of "Word". This will allow us not only to use bullets, but also use all other features of Word as well.

Pardon me. Somehow I have posted a series of repeated answers. This was my first visit, hence the error.

Pardon me. I have posted a series of replies. This is my first visit, hence the error.

Pardon me. I have posted a series of replies by mistake. This is my first visit, hence the error.

Pardon me. I have posted a series of replies by mistake. This is my first visit, hence the error.

One neat little trick is to hold "alt" and then press "7". It inserts a bullet in the cell and makes it a non-number.

Hope this helps!

-Bob in California

You can also create a custom format to put bullets in your Excel file. The advantage of custom format is that it keep the integrity of your numbers such that you can use your data in formulas.

Here is how to do it:

For cells containing text:
Select the range of cells that you want to apply bullets to.

Go to Format, Cells, Number tab

Click the Text category, then click the Custom category.

Excel will place an at sign (@) in the Type box.

In the Type box, place the cursor before the @, and type the symbol that you want to use as a bullet.

you may want to include a space after the symbol so that the bullet will not be right next to the text.

For cells with numbers:
If you want to include the bullet with a number then choose a number format, click custom, and in the type box insert double quotes where you want the bullet, insert bullet, and a space if you like and close double quotes.

HTH

Indu

Bob,

Great trick - the <Alt> 7 - and worthy of a ==>STAR<==.

But is it possible that you have a later version of Excel ? I have Excel 97, and I can't get your method to work. But for the others with a later version, it's still a neat trick to be aware of. Thanks.

Indu, I also gave you a ==>STAR<== You're method is also bound to be useful in some situations. Thanks. But, I need to ask if you have any suggestions as to the method of getting an actual &quot;bullet&quot; character into the &quot;Type&quot; box.

I tried the <Alt> plus number method, and couldn't produce a normal bullet. Do you know of a means of producing a normal bullet ?

With the option I posted, it does enable one to produce a normal bullet.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Neither worked here - Excel 2000 ... for either <7> or <Num7>

I think for Indu's method to work you must use ALT and the 7 on the numeric keypad.

Works for me - Great tip Indu!!
AngO

Bob,
Sorry I didn't give the credit to the right person.
Great tip! - star from me.
AngO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back