Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL-Advancing to next entry field on next row

Status
Not open for further replies.

markajem

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
Using Excel 2000

I remember at one time I set up a worksheet so that where i wanted to enter data i would uncheck LOCKED in Protection in Format Cell area. Then I set the Protection for the worksheet. I have two columns that I want to enter data into that are next to each other. Now, when I enter data in the second data after that when i hit the enter key I want the cursor to go to the next row down and the first column. I did this quite some time ago and thought i remembered all the steps but aparently not. Can someone please tell me what I may have missed. I also set the Enter key to go to the Right after depressing it.

Thanks for your help
Mark
Email: markanas333@hotmail.com

Select Tools, Options, Edit, select moveselection after Enter (chose how)

Select Tools, Options, Edit, select move selection after Enter (chose how)

This is not proper solution for this. This way will just keep going to the next column if set to right.

This way will go on Enter from A1 to A2, then enter key will go to A3 and then enter will go to A4 and so on and never go to the next way.

Example:
Cursor should go from A1 to A2 on enter. Then from A2 to B1 and then to B2 and then to C1 and so on just by pressing the enter key.

This is usually done when unchecking the Locked on protection and then protecting the worksheet. But it is not working, there must be another setting that i missed somewhere.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

My recollection is the same as yours but my experience is also the same (running XL 2000)!! The TAB key behaves as you describe, but not the ENTER key.

If nobody comes up with a setting that's been missed, you can use the following VBA solution I worked up.

Place these procedures in a standard code module:

Code:
Sub HookEnterKey()
  Application.OnKey "~", "OnEnterKey"
End Sub

Sub UnHookEnterKey()
  Application.OnKey "~"
End Sub

Sub OnEnterKey()
  ActiveCell.Next.Select
End Sub

In the ThisWorkbook code module, create these event handler procedures:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
  HookEnterKey
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
  UnHookEnterKey
End Sub

HTH
Mike

Mike

Thank you for your hard work for VB formula but now is too late to use it. Although I had email notification checked I did not get notification of your response to this thread until 8pm on Jan 19th even though you replied on Jan 17th. I will keep your reply on file for future use though.

Thank you again.
Mark

Late email notification has happened before - I do not know why.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back