Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL acting as a FORM and 30 day DATA retainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

MIS
Mar 23, 1999
CA
I am creating a SPREADSHEET that acts as a form for daily entries. At a certain time period each day the form "empties out" to a "repository". This data is retained for 30 days then can be trashed.

How can I make this work? I know about macros and I have an understanding of Visual Basic. Just not sure how this situation would be handled. I am wondering how can I program this to add on a days worth of data (in the repository area), then count and delete when the data has reached the 30 day mark.

When I speak of a "repository" area, I am assuming that I would just move this data to an area of the spreadsheet such as where the cells "AA" begin. Just so that it is out of the way of the data entry. I would then make a GOTO key so for those who need to view the stored data.

Thanks for any help!!!

Not enough information for me at least.

Is this a single entry form or a table for many entries that you move at some point?

Using Data>Forms may be a better way to go. You could then store everything in your storage area with no need to move it.

Use VBA coding to check the date filed and delete the entire row if it is over 30 days old. You can kick this off with Sub BeforeClose(), Sub OnOpen(), with a CommandButton, or any of many other ways. I would use the OnOpen() so that it is updated when the file is opened each day.

Bob Crawford

Bob.. Thank-you for the info! Even tho you stated that I did not give you enough info... your reply was helpful. You gave me food for thought and started me in a different thinking pattern of how I would set this up. Have a GREAT DAY! I will post again with more detail if I need further assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back