Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 97 - graphing subtotals

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossmcauslan

Programmer
Jun 21, 1999
GB
I need to be able to graph the number of occurances of the various reasons for a lost enquiry spreadsheet.<br>
<br>
I used the subtotal function to count the number of reasons. eg. too expensive, late ordered. This all worked fine. I now want to create a bar graph to show the information. However when I press the 2 on the left of the spreadsheet to just show the subtotals without the data, I can't select only the reason and the count. Is there a way to only select the counted information without selecting the hidden data too?<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Ross McAuslan<br>
CIA Ltd.

Try creating the chart by selecting all the rows and columns including subtotal rows. First it looks funny but when you press that '2-level' there should be only subtotals visible on the chart.<br>
<br>
And check your Tools/Options/Chart - Plot only visible cells.<br>
<br>
Al

Cheers for you help, I'm slowly getting there. The right data is now being plotted but only every second catagory on the x-axis is being shown. If you make the graph small so that the text is unreadable, the missing catagories appear.<br>
<br>
Any ideas??<br>
<br>
Ross

Is it possible to use horizontal bars instead of columns? A bar chart looks sometimes better than columns if you have long category labels.<br>
<br>
Al<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back