Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2K renaming its files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomama46

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
US
Using Window 7 pro and excel 2K, a particular spreadsheet will rename itself as an alphanumeric file with no extension (or at least it isnt displayed). When I attempt to save it I get a message " this file cant be saved, the name has been changed and can be found in the same location as 012345C." I open explorer, navigate to the location and find the file, rename it to its original name "movies.xls" and it works fine until later and the same thing happens again.
To keep from losing data until I can solve the problem, I put a usb stick in and save to that in addition to the original location. But that one changes in the same way too. But not at the same instance.
What the heck is going on here. How can I troubleshoot this?

pc.gif

Jomama

Is this random name change exclusive to Excel?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Thanks combo. Exactly what is happening. I guess I am doing the only thing I can do, just renaming the file manually.
Skipvought, it is for me, plus I have a number if excel files and this is the obly one I'm having trouble with.

pc.gif

Jomama

thx combo, this gives me ideas to try. Specifically the antivirus sw.

pc.gif

Jomama

Jomama46

Just a hunch, try turning off auto-recover feature (file/options/save...).
Use the "troublesome file" for awhile and confirm if your issue goes away.
(Personally I don't use this XL feature because I prefer to save manually).

JVF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back