Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2013: Different Solution for Converting Summary Table to Data Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

beadedbytes

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
US

I've used a lot the Excel feature that allows conversion of a summary table to data table using the Pivot Wizard.

Often times, the newly-created data table is subsequently used in a pivot table. This method has worked well when the 'values' created are the same format (i.e. number OR percent OR etc.).

However, I have summary tables with multiple values in different formats (i.e. number AND percent AND etc.).

Is there a way to convert a summary table (see attached) to a data table AND to pivot in such a way to still have multiple values of different formats?

One thing about the attached -- Typically, I concatenate the 1st three columns into one column before converting the table. After conversion is completed, this column is parsed into 3 columns.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d71ffb47-1d8b-4407-acbd-a39b6598cc01&file=Tbl-For-Conversion.xlsx
Hi,

You have a summary that is not a pivot. The reason for using the faq68-5287 method is to get a pivot into a table that can be analyzed using Excel data analysis features. Your table is as normalized as it can be without becoming more granular (i.e. Date by date rather than summed to the month). There is no way to get to a more granular state from here.

You would gain no benefit to use a normalization method on your table IMNSHO. The normalization method does not increase granularity. It rearranges the data to simplify table analysis. The data is still summarized.

What did you hope to gain?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Thanks, Skip, for feedback. With some modification, I was hoping to be able to have values in currently in columns E thru I in separate columns after the post-normalization in order to pivot off of them.

I don't understand what you expect to have after this transformation might take place???

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back