Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2013: Copy sheet is missing charts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCop07

Programmer
Feb 16, 2007
I am just starting out with Excel 2013 so this might be very basic! I cannot get the copy sheet function to work properly. I am used to it creating a perfect copy of the original sheet including both cell contents and any charts, but in 2013 I only get cells on the new sheet with blank areas where the charts should be. Looks as if I might have to tweak the copy settings somewhere - any suggestions please?

Hi,

Copy SHEET is much much different that copying the DATA on a sheet.

Exactly how, what distinct steps do you use, to copy the sheet?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip
I send personalised reports to many people each month and the report contains both data and charts.

Under VBA I have used the following for years in Excel 2003:

Set SourceWB = ActiveWorkbook
ActiveSheet.Copy
Set DestWB = ActiveWorkbook

' Change all cells to values
With DestWB.Sheets(1).UsedRange
.Cells.Copy
.Cells.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
.Cells(1).Select
End With
Application.CutCopyMode = False
(Courtesy of Ron DeBruin)

When that failed to copy the charts using 2013 I started trying to do things by hand to track down the problem and have used this:

Right click on the source sheet tab
Move or Copy
Select Create a copy

The new sheet only consists of cells, no charts.

I also tried clicking the top left cell on the source worksheet and selected Copy but I can see immediately that none of the chart objects (nor any other objects for that matter including Active-X controls) are selected.

I have converted the 2003 sheet to Excel 2013 format.

Thanks if you can help at all!!!
Steve

Hmmmmmm???

Strange! Could you use SaveAs to create a different wb name?

Skip,
[sub]

FOUND IT!

On Advanced Options, under Cut Copy and Paste one option that was turned off by default was "Cut, Copy and sort inserted objects with their parent cells" - Once turned on normal behaviour was restored. Can't think why it would not be on by default which is what most people would expect but there we are!.

Thanks for looking at it Skip.

Steve

Good tip to know! Thx!

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back