Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2010 - Pivot Chart not sorting correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantoKing

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
GB
Hello,

I'm having a problem with a pivot chart in excel 2010. I've manually sorted the fields in the pivot table, but this sorting is not showing on the pivot chart attached to the table.

I've recently (well our IT department have) finally made the move from excel 2003 to excel 2010. So things maybe different in this version but this definitely used to work in the previous verion.

Can anyone help? I'm at a bit of a loss!
Many Thanks,

Steve.

Make things as simple as possible — but no simpler. [pc3]

Hi,

Please explain hoe you did your manual sort. How many fields did you sort.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I manually sorted just be dragging the columns into the order that I need in the table.(It's not an alphabetic or numeric sort).

Previously this used to also sort them in the Pivot chart but this doesn't seem to work in excel 2010.

Sorry, that is NOT a sort. It is simply the order of the columns in your ROW Fields.

So what data fields are in your PT?

Please post a SAMPLE of the PT data.

What Chart Type are you using?

Explain the process you are using to create the chart.

Skip,
[sub]

It's a stacked chart that I created using the wizard. Two of the series are then updated to lines to display on the chart using a Macro. This needs to be the bottom 2 of the series in the chart which is why I have rearranged the columns.

As for the PT data, rows are date, columns are as follows Allocation, Obligation, Long Term Auction Sold, Mid term auction sold, Short Term Auction Sold. These are the columns that i've rearranged in the table but are not rearranging in the chart as they did in the previous verison of Excel. All data is numeric to 2 decimal places.
There is an overall pivot for location, another field in the dataset.

As I stated previously, the rearrangement of the columns is not reflected in the chart as previously happened in my old version of excel. When I update the data within the PT or Chart (i.e. select a different location) the order stated stays in the same column order (some of the columns are only valid for certain locations) on the PT but not on the chart.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd go about posting a sample of the data as it's a huge data set.

Hope this sheds some light on my issue, and thanks for looking at this!!!

I need to see a small sample that reflects the issue that you are referring to. Use the PRE TGML tag to make the colmular spacing understandable.

Do not need any "huge" amount of data.

Every example that I can conceive and my past experience has the PC tightly tied to the PT, and your explanation has not enlightened me.

Skip,
[sub]

Hope this shows up ok!

ASEP (All)

Sum of Quantity (gWh) Method of Sale Name
Date Allocation Obligation Long Term Auction Mid Term Auction Short Term Auction
01/10/2013 2143.038766 10866.55 5853.280509 13.75 98.726309
02/10/2013 2194.152126 10866.55 5853.280509 13.75 98.726309
03/10/2013 2192.028232 10866.55 5853.280509 13.75 98.726309
04/10/2013 2019.036494 10866.55 5853.280509 13.75 98.726309
05/10/2013 1875.209006 10866.55 5853.280509 13.75 98.726309

I am using 2007, but I believe that 2010 performs similarly.

I am able to select a COLUMN field and drag it to a different column location, and the result is that 1) the AGGREGATION DATA related to each column is also relocated under the appropriated COLUMN field and 2) the PC stacked series are also reordered to match the COLUMN fields (left to right/bottom to top)

Bottom line: I cannot reproduce your situation. Sorry!

If you would like, you could sanitize a copy of your workbook and eMail to me. Here is the process for you to get my eMail address.

1. Activate this Tek-Tips FAQ link faq68-7580

2. Page down to [highlight]Send a Comment to SkipVought About This FAQ[/highlight] and activate the link to send a comment

3. Send a comment to me and I will respond to you, in order that you may send me your sanitized workbook example.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back