Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2010 InStr function problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBAPrincess

Programmer
Feb 6, 2004
US
I was helping someone add the final touches to a long process and ran into a strange problem with InStr. The long process included a macro which is filtering data raw data by client and copying the data to a new worksheet. On the new worksheet, a pivot table of the pasted raw data is created. To the left of the pivot table, there is a column which needs to be populated with a value from another smaller dataset just above the pivot table. The value we are looking for is a short string (maybe 10 char) and it needs to be found in a longer string (maybe 30 char) from the Row Value in the pivot table. We decided to create a function which he could enter and autofill next to the pivot table. (currently he's looking up the item numbers by hand on 15+ plus worksheets)

Example:
Item#A | DescA
1 | XYZ 7 2013
etc...

Item#B | DescB
? | Northwind XYZ 7 2013 Qtr 1 ABC

Code:
Function GetItemNumber(rLookIn As Range, strCheck As String)
Dim cell As Variant, strFound As String

For Each cell In rLookIn
    If InStr(strCheck, cell.Value) > 0 Then
        strFound = cell.Offset(0, -1).Value
        Exit For
    End If
Next
GetItemNumber = strFound
End Function

When I ran the code, the Instr function would return 0 as if it did not find the string so none of the item numbers were captured. However, if I ran in debug mode and tested the Instr function in the immediate window, the function would return a value (like 18 for example). It was very strange! I would check the values to be compared in the immediate window and then use the values returned in a call to InStr.

Any idea what could be wrong? I tested the function in another workbook with other data and it works as expected. I realize the question might be, why didn't you use VLOOKUP but the strings will never be an exact match and I wasn't sure an approximate match would be reliable. If someone has a suggestion for using Excel functions to accomplish the same, let me know. My first reaction when asked, how would I do this was to say use InStr and then Offset. Everyone has their own way to approach a problem. I was frustrated that InStr wasn't working like it was in the immediate window.

Thanks in advance for assistance!

Diana
VBA Princess
-- I'm hoping to grow up to be a Goddess!

How did you test the Instr function in the immediate window ?
Anyway, I'd try this in the function:
If InStr(1, strCheck, cell.Value, 1) > 0 Then

Another way:
If LCase(strCheck) Like "*" & LCase(cell.Value) & "*" Then

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

.. .. see if you get the same results working it backwards, if so the error is somewhere else.

What version of Excel are you using? I noticed while googling this that there were bugs in Instr, but in way-back Excel 97 & 2000

PHV: I tested in the immediate window like so -- ?strCheck and ?cell.value, then I tried ?Instr(actual values returned in window for strCheck and cell.value) Thanks for the suggestion and I'll have my colleague try your suggestion.

vbajock: We'll have to try it in reverse and see what happens. This is Excel 2010 so hopefully there aren't any bugs that could be impacting this.

many thanks!

Diana
VBA Princess
-- I'm hoping to grow up to be a Goddess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back