Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2010 - $123 to Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
I have some data comming in as text:

[pre]
I J
$2,043 $2,090
$4,167 $4,201
$0 $0
$3,000 $3,031
$350 $350
$0 $0
$0 $2,800
$0 $0
$2,014 $0
$250 $0
$3,750 $3,961
[/pre]

Since this is text (and not a number formatted as Currency), I cannot SUM it up.

Is there any (easy?) way in Excel 2010 to convert this text to numbers, so I can format it as Currency and be able to do calculations?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Hi,

"Data coming in as text"

How is that happening. Surely you are IMPORTING this data and not opening it directly.

You can use the =VALUE command or you can Copy/Paste Special/Add to convert the text to a value

Yes, you are right.
I am getting this data from DB and it is used to populate a grid (MSHFlexGrid) in my application (in VB6). The values are formatted as text to display correctly in the grid. As a side ‘use’ of this recordset, I dump this data into Excel as a report.

I could ask for the same data again for my report, and just ask for values, and format it as Currency in Excel. But I thought I give it a shot and see if I can find some work around it and re-use my recordset.

Now that I think about it, it occurs to me: I should just create ‘un-formatted’ recordset which I can use in Excel, and format couple of columns in the grid itself to display it as Currency.

Thanks Skip :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Type a 1 in any empty cell. Copy it. Then highlight your whole data range. Paste Special and choose Multiply.

Never miss an opportunity to shut up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back