Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2007 locks documents as read only

Status
Not open for further replies.

theo1881

Technical User
Jul 26, 2004
GB
Installing office 2007 across a client site at present but have paused for the following problem.

After installing office suite (standard) when users have worked on some worksheets and try to access them later they show as read-only. the properties of the file do not show read-only.

the only way changes can be made is to save a new copy. if you copy the file elsewhere and then paste it back it can again be worked on

it doesn't appear to be all files, it doesn't appear to be all the time

i would have held off until a service pack release but the install started before i joined the company.

all files are on a windows 2003 r2 server

any help appreciated

Laters, phat, headshape

look for opa12.dat file. (it may be a hidden file) reanme or delete. do not delete opa12.bak

- onedtent Onedtent OnedTent OnedTenT OneDTenT
If a particular post has been answered, I will most likely not add to the reply

apologies for my ignorance but what will that do ?

Laters, phat, headshape

and cannot find the file !!

Laters, phat, headshape

sorry, in that case my knowledge is limited

apologies, file was found on one pc with off2k7 and not another !

user will test now i have renamed folder on their pc.

Laters, phat, headshape

no luck, same issue, any other bright ideas out there !!!

Laters, phat, headshape

have you checked permissions? do all users have delete rights? seems like temp files are created but not deleted. check for temp files on the server.

Hi, is the file already open? Also, try clearing out the temporary windows folder, ensuring all other versions of the file is closed (i.e. not locked for editing) and try again. Same thing?

Regards,
Zack Barresse

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. What is a MS MVP? PODA
- Leonardo da Vinci

users have full permissions at folder level, no instance of temp file on server.

files are only open by one user

will check temp files on users pc when i get a chance

Laters, phat, headshape

no versions in windows temp folder. have ch3cked users temp file in docs and settings and there are several .tmp files that cannot be deleted but as user is on pc at present thats probbly fine.

will get user to let me know.

rgds

Laters, phat, headshape

is it possible for u to post the exact error ppl get?

'file.xlsx' is read-only. to save a copy, click ok, then give the workbook a new name in the save as dialog box.

clicking ok gives you standard save as box

nothing stunning there to assist i'm afraid.

Laters, phat, headshape

under windows explorer, go to tools, folder options, file type and under extension for your xl file type go to advanced, choose open, edit, and remove checkmark from "use dde"

tried that but now cannot open certain docs - says 'path\part of path.xls cannot be found, check spelling etc'

repeats this for several bits of the path, with part folder names and part file name

very strange and when I go back to windows explorer use dde checkbox is checked again ?

help urgently !

Laters, phat, headshape

Make sure you delete all of the temp files. The user cannot have any files open at the time, so they need to save and exit out of all applications to be on the safe side. The filenames in that folder will not look like the original file for uniqueness. Make sure the file is not actually read-only property as well. Easiest way I think would be to ensure file is closed, right click, Properties, uncheck Read Only.

Regards,
Zack Barresse

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. What is a MS MVP? PODA
- Leonardo da Vinci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back