Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2007 - Excel options SAVE to compatibility mode not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

proudusa

MIS
Sep 19, 2001
US
i have gone into excel options->save and set the program to save in xls format.

however, whenever i go to save a document it is reverting to xlsx.

has anyone else experienced this? this is a real problem due to other programs we use. in the testing phase.

Thanks

Please describe what settings you've set, and what steps you take when creating and saving a workbook. ( it all works fine for me ).

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

In excel i went to the ribbon then excel options.
Inside excel options i went to the Save tab on the left side.
i then selected 97-2003 xls so that all files are saved in xls format by default.
however, when i click on save as it defaults to xlsx instead of xls. i just click save on book1 it saves it as xlsx.

thanks

When you create a new book, does it have [Compatibilty Mode] in the title bar after the book name?

Default save mode is what Excel guesses for saving a new book ... is that what you are expecting?

Or are you expecting some other behaviour ( for example, when saving existing books, maybe )?

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

yeah it does say compatibility mode which is the weird part.
default save mode is what i changed to xls so all documents are saved in xls format by default.
these are new saves not exisiting docs.

thanks

When you get a default of .xlsx, and you check the options, does it say .xls is the default? Or might your setting not have been saved?

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

yeah it does say in the options->save that xls is the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back