Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2007 attachements and Iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryW34

MIS
Dec 7, 2012
US
Morning all,
-
I am working with a small office customer. Here is some background data.
Had a computer crash (Win Xp, Office 2007). Worked with them on a getting a new pc (Win 7) and installed Office 2007 and the other necessary apps and printers.

However, the Iphones used by them keep getting win.dat.mail errors. Have changed to save all files as Office 97-2003. Seemed to work for a bit, but now having the win.dat.mail error again. Not aware of any changes being made on the systems and not very knowledagable of the MAC, Iphone platform. Thinking maybe message formatting, but not sure. Looked at one of the spreadsheets and saw some bolding, but, the user indicates they have a company header in that position.

Looking for some insight and assistance in resolving this issue. If I have incorrectly posted this question, please inform me of my error.

Thanks, in advance for the assistance.

Terry

If the emails are internal, then try to configure the user's outlook settings like this:

Prevent Winmail.dat Attachments in Outlook 2002-2007

To make sure Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2007 do not attach winmail.dat files:

Select Tools | Options... from the menu.
Go to the Mail Format tab.
Under Compose in this message format:, make sure either HTML or Plain Text is selected.
Click Internet Format.
Make sure either Convert to Plain Text format or Convert to HTML format is selected under When sending Outlook Rich Text messages to Internet recipients, use this format:
Click OK.
Click OK again.

Thanks, zoeythecat.

Will give this a try on their systems.

Regards,
Terry

Morning,

I did the changes suggested by zoeythecat, with some success. But have encountered additional unreported issues, outlined below.

Once the change was made on the system running Win7 and Office 2K7, any messages that are a reply to the internet address of the company, seem to loose the attachments when opened on another pc running Outlook Express 6. It is also an issue with the Iphones and the Mac's. Upon some testing that I did while onsite, if I forward a message with an attachment from Excel, Word or other office application, it comes through fine. If a new message is created and a file attached, it seems to be working an all can open the attachment. If on the reply, I right click on the internet address of the company, and change the formatting to plain text, then the messages come through on Outlook Express 6 and the Apple devices.

I did not find a way to change the message formatting when doing a reply to a message. Also none of the external customers have had any issues with receiving attachments. Reading through several tech articles last evening, I saw where some issues exist with messages being sent between Outlook and Outlook Express, in particualar attachments being an issue. Further research, indicated this is a known problem, one I have not seen before being most of my experience has been in an enviroment with an Exchange server installed.

They did indicate this problem did not occur until I installed the replacement desktop (Window 7) and moved that user to Outlook from Outlook Express (which I read is not supported by Windows 7).

Would I be better off to move the new machine to Live Mail and see if that removes all issues? Being it is a small office, I don't forsee an e-mail server in house, they prefer using the setup they have currently. Nor would I be comfortable setting up a mail server for them. Would like some feed back from more experienced subject matter experts.

Regards,
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back