Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003: Unexpected option to save as Excel 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFarley

Programmer
May 22, 2008
US
I have several Excel 2003 (.XLS) files on a remote network drive. My local PC has Office 2003 apps, but not Office 2007.

If I navigate to the remote drive, right-click on an .XLS file, and click Save As, the available file types are all Excel 2007 (.XLSX, .XLSM, .XLSL).

I didn't expect to see that, given that I do not have Excel 2007 installed.

I'm able to copy/paste the file & open using Excel 2003, but we're just very curious as to how this may have transpired.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Bryant Farley

"The Dude Abides

2007 compatibility installer. It allows conversion to and from 2007.
Only way that I know of anyway...

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

I do have the Compatibility Pack for the Office 2007 System installed on my PC. However, none of the files on the remote server are in 2007 format.

It's interesting that it would default to that format in the 'Save As' dialog.

Bryant Farley

"The Dude Abides

Just checked my network for your symptoms and dang, if mine don't say the same thing. Don't know why you would want to use "Save as" in this instance, unless it was a "just curious as to why this 'save as' is here..."
If all other functionality works as normal, I don't see an issue, but you're right, this is dang unusual.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back