Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003, Out of memory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordMaximus

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2004
ZA
Hi people

Gonna need some help on this one. One of my users has a 60MB excel spreadsheet with more than 63000 lines. (I got no idea what data this is, but it's alot). Anyways, when opening, the sheet starts loading and you can see the values, then all of a sudden it stops with a error : "Out of memory"

The values then just turns into ##### 's

Is there a way to increase the number of cells in Excel?

Please help

Thanks

I'm not surprised you get that message. If you're looking for more than 63,000 rows of data then Excel really is the wrong app. This size DB shold be using Access or similar.

maximuns

The number of rows in Excel is fixed there's nothing you can do about that.
The only thing you could try is either reducing the size of the spreadsheet, or increasing the amount of memory you have in the machine.

The machine's got 512MB of memory. The exact error message is : "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources" and excel uses approx 41mb of memory.

Is it linked to other spreadsheets ? If it is you could open then first that will sometimes help with the problems other then that then jonsi's right you really need to look at staring the data in a more suitable format.

Excel has it's own internal memory limits. See here for more info:-

Regards
Ken.............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you everybody for the help.
I find my answer in one of the links supplied by KenWright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor