Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003: IF/THEN or MIN formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

herkiefan

Technical User
Oct 13, 2006
US
Hi gurus.

Is there a function similar to MIN that would work with letters?

We segment our customers on both their Average Daily Spend and their Average Monthly Spend. What I need to do is take the highest segmentation between the two. The highest starts with A and goes through J.

Example:
Column A has Customer name
Column B has Avg Daily Segment
Column C has Avg Monthly Segment
Column D would have the Highest Segment between Columns B & C.

Is there a formula I could put in D2 that would work similar to =MIN(B2:C2) and would result with "A"?

Since I have 10 Avg Daily Segments and 10 Average Monthly Segments I can not use an IF/THEN statement with 20 imbedded statements.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”-Albert Einstein

Hi,

Please post a SAMPLE of the data you refer to.

Also post the result that you want to achieve relative to the example.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

ID Daily Monthly SEGMENT
1 A A A
2 A A A
4 C A A
9 B C B
10 C D C
11 A D A
12 B B B

In the above data, the resulting "SEGMENT" in column D would always be the highest letter.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”-Albert Einstein

=CHAR(MIN(CODE(B2),CODE(C2)))

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

That's freakin' sweet!

Thanks Bluedragon2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back