Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2003; Display Selected Range's Name In Name Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

briand2

Technical User
Apr 3, 2002
GB
Although I can use the drop down list from the Name Box to select a named range, once that range is selected the Name Box does not display the name of the range, but only the address of one of the cells in the range.

Is there any way I can get the Name Box to display the name of a selected range (as it did in previous versions of Excel)?

Thanks,

Brian

In mine (2003) it does just that. There's no question I suppose that you really are selecting the entire range?

Regards
Ken.........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Ken,

I've just realised that it only works if the range comprises just one area, i.e. if the cells are contiguous. If the cells are not contiguous, then the name of the range does not get displayed in the Name Box when the range is selected. I've also just tried this in Excel 2000, with exactly the same result. It looks like I'm stuck with things the way they are!!

Brian

Ahhh, that would explain it - and sorry I know of no way round that one.

The other thing to be aware of there is that the same applies to views below 40% zoom. In case you didn't know, if you take the zoom level down far enough (ie below 40%), you will see all your range names appear on the screen across the ranges themselves, but this does not apply to non-contiguous ranges.

Regards
Ken............

[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back