Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2002 cannot open file from the network drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebo33

MIS
Jul 15, 2002
US
Client
W2K SP3
OFFICE XP SP1

We are having a problem from one of the client trying to open a file from the network. Lets say S:\Finance_share\Old Office. From Excel 2002 if you go to file open S:\Finance_share\Old Office, it just stays on dialog box with hour glass without showing any subfolder. But if you go to explorer and go to the same folder S:\finance_share\old office, you can see all the subfolders and you can also open the files if you double click it.

Same thing happen with Word 2002. Looks like a browsing problem with office xp suites.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ebo33

Have you copied the file from the Network drive to the local drive to see if it would open?

Yes. I tried that it will open but for some reasons if the file is under the subfolders of another subfolders for example S:\FINANCE_SHARE\OLD OFFICE

I cannot see any folders or files under OLD OFFICE if I open it through excel 2002 by file/open or open toolbar. It will froze with hour glass as soon as I go to OLD OFFICE folder

If I use windows explorer to go there I have no problem. I can even open the file by double clicking it and excel will run with no problem.

Thank you,

Ebo33

I was able to fix it by deleting the users profile. After restarting everything seems fine.

Ebo33

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back