Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000 - Worksheet Menu Bar Disappeared 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvogt2

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
Tek-tippers,

I am having a slight problem in Excel 2000, and I need your help. Somehow, last week, the Worksheet Menu Bar (i.e. File, Edit, View) disappeared from my Excel profile.

To fix, I did the typical:
Tools > Customize > Toolbars > scrolled to the bottom, and Worksheet Menu Bar was no longer available as a selectable option.

Anyone have any idea on what to do if you lose this as an option in the toolbars menu? I reviewed other related posts, but I have not seen this issue posted anywhere.

Thanks,
Kevin.

If you press [Alt], [F] do you see the options for the File menu?

Another thought: Rename Excel.xlb to something like Excelxlb.tst. The file is usually found in
[tab]C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
(where UserName is your user name)

Now restart Excel. Anything?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Display the Visual Basic Editor (Tools>Macro>...), in VBE display 'Immediate' window (View>...) and execute (copy and press enter):
Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Enabled=True

combo

John,

Renaming the Excel.xlb file worked!
Thanks so much. I truly appreciate the quick feedback.
Enjoy the star!

Kevin.

Glad it worked, and thanks for the star!

You can go ahead and delete the Excelxlb.tst file (the one you already renamed) since it was apparently corrupted. You'll see that Excel has already created a new file named Excel.xlb. Leave that one alone. (The only reason I suggested renaming the file instead of deleting it straight away was in case that didn't fix the problem.)

FYI: the .xlb file is where any changes you make to the toolbars (including custom toolbars) are stored.

For that reason, I periodically make a copy of the file and save it elsewhere for safekeeping. This can be a real time saver, especially if you have any custom toolbars.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back