Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000: Unable to open excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.

web4fun

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
Greetings, here's my problem:

We have an Excel spreadsheet that was created in Excel 2000 which is a spreadsheet shared on our network drive and all of a sudden, no user running Excel 2000 can open the file. Whether you double-click the file or click File >Open and navigate to the file (either network version or locally copied version) Excel begins to open up but then just hangs and never opens the file. The file opens without any problems for users running Excel 2003. I've browsed this forum, checked MS KB, and Office help to no avail...we've even tried restoring to an earlier version to no avail. When I close the file I get the message "Do you want to save the changes to 'filename'? Microsoft Office Excel recalculates formulas when opening files last saved by an earlier version of Excel." And I click 'No' as I didn't make any changes. Has anyone else run into this issue? TIA.

Never mind...PROBLEM RESOLVED...all I had to do was save the file in a dual file format..."Excel 97-2003 & Excel 5.0/.." and this resolved the issue.

I have an issue with excel 2000. I cannot open an excel 2000 workbook.
Error is "Unable to read file".

Urgent help needed.

Regards,
Mandira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back