Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000 - Moving object

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcousticalConsultant

Technical User
Sep 20, 2001
CA
We are using excel to plot graph; in the graph sheet we add some lines and text. (1) for the lines, in the "format autoshape menu - size" when correcting the width to 0 cm and clicking ok, the value for the width is still 0.01 cm

(2)when ploting the graphs, the lines and text box are always changing position and are plotted as seen on screen. The position change is not the same for each user (different computer) even if the margin, zoom ... are the same

please help us!

Sorry for any misspelling above (english is not my first language)

Hi,

Why are you putting lines on your chart?

Is it supposed to be referenced to the series/data?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

when correcting the width to 0 cm and clicking ok, the value for the width is still 0.01 cm

What do you think a line of width 0cm would look like exactly?

I was also thinking the same as Skip as to why you are doing what you are doing.

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

The reason for putting lines on the graph is because we need every third vertical gridline to be a thicker lineweight. In Excel you can configure all gridlines (horizontal or vertical) to a single lineweight, but not every individual gridline. Therefore, we superimpose a line on top of the gridlines that we need to stand out and adjust the lineweight accordingly.

Now, as far as the "width=0" goes, the way the Excel treats its line objects, "length" defines of the vertical distance from end to end of the line whereas "width" defines the horizontal distance from end to end. "Width" and "Linewight" are two different things. So since we are trying to make our lines perfectly vertical (no horizontal component) we are trying to make our width equal to 0.

This works on some computers, but not on others. When the graph is printed from different computers, we get different results. Sometimes the lines are perfectly straight, sometimes they have a slight skew to them. And what is shown on the screen is not necessarily what is going to be printed.

If anyone has any insight on how to make working with graphics within Excel a consistent matter, please shed some light! It is very frustrating at this point. It finally works on one computer but when someone else tries to print it, it's all off.

Thanks for your help!
Pascal

Take a look at MAJOR and MINOR grid line formatting.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Skip,

I had looked into that already, but I was only able to make every other gridline bold because I was using a line chart. Now I've changed it to an XY Scatter Plot and I realized that you could define the MAJOR and MINOR gridline spacings. The only thing now is that my x-values are bogus because I'm actually plotting logarithmic values (levels vs. frequency) so I've had to supress the x labels and just put in a bunch of textboxes to label my x-axis.

But it seems to work fine now. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

AC

If you do alot of advanced charting, check out John Walkenbach's, Excel Charts

Included, is a CD with lots of good examples and some Add-In Functions.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back