Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCEL 2000--- illegal closing everytime I print invoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquamarineafterglow

Technical User
May 24, 2001
US
Has anyone else experienced this and if so what'd you do? Everytime I use Excel to do invoices and then print the invoice, Excel has an illegal closing. The printer is installed properly. It will never print either. Also, is there anyway to get it to stop asking if I want to disable or enable macros everytime I start up excel and everytime I pull up any file?

Thanks,
Aqua

Macro message:

Tools-Macros-Security. Change it to lowest.

Otherwise, sounds like your file may be corrupt. Check my FAQ on corrupt/potentially corrupt Excel files.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Thank you Dreamboat, at least the macro reminder has quit, lol. I have tried what you said to do in your FAQ....saving it into a new book. That did not work. I can't figure out how to get to where you are talking about in WORD in order to open it there. I get the invalid text error, but I have no clue where to find the "recovery" option. However, I did copy down what the illegal closing details were. They said:

EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module GDI32.DLL at 0197:bff29f73.
Registers:
EAX=000000000 CS=0197 EIP=bff29f73 EFLGS=00010202

ETC!!!!!I'm not going to type all of the info unless you need it!!

Strange question, but could this have anything to do with the program being on a laptop instead of desktop? And also, could a bad USB bus cause the problem with excel?

Thanks,
Aqua

A Google search on gdi32.dll turned up a host of references to possible errors. Too many to sort out right now (it's past my bedtime <g>). Check out a few that may apply to the configuration of your laptop or third-party software (MS term) you're using.
Do you have the same printing problem wether or not you enable macros? If there's no hw or other sw connection, you might try starting Excel as clean as possible, i.e. without macros, add-ins, sheets from your XLStart folder removed (temporarily) and start working from there.

IS

Don't have any more info for you, but I'd say, no--not because it's a laptop; no--not because a bad USB. Hardware should not have anything to do with it.

Check out ilses comments tho--I've seen this before and forget the fix.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back