Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000 file won't open in Excel 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

retsyboss

MIS
Sep 6, 2002
US
7 mb file w/vba. Can Open/Edit/Save in Excel 2000. Another user with Excel 2002 cannot open the file - gets hourglass and 100% CPU in tasklist. If I save it as an Excel 97, 2002 can't open that either.

Ideas? Thanks, Sue

retsyboss,
Does the file consist of any links mapped to anything located on a server (say D,E,F,etc.)

If you build a file and contains links to a server, and you send the file to someone else and they have the same server mapped to a different drive, then the file will search and search for that link.
If you do.....
The fix:
Edit the links and point to the full server path.
tav

tav,

Just to be sure the file was self-contained, I disconnected from the network, copied the file to a different drive. I can still open it (and run the macros) just fine. No problem with links.

retsyboss

retsyboss,
You said "another user can't open it", is this all other computers besides yours or can you logon to another computer and open it? Are the macros stored in the workbook or your personal workbook? Any run at open?
tav

tav,
This other user is the only other person who uses this file. I modify it occasionally, but he (the customer) runs it weekly. He could open it (from his office network) on an Office2k machine, but not on his new OfficeXP.
I can open from other both Off97 and O2K computers, either a local copy or from a network (no OffXPs here yet).

Macros are in the workbook. No run at open. Other clues (?): file is passworded to edit, there is one class module for a WorkbookBeforeSave action.
Thanks,
retsyboss

I had a similar problem and I'm convinced there is a bug in Excel 2002 somewhere. My Excel 2000 file had similar symptoms - wouldnt open, or opened with errors and 100% cpu usage. In may case, the use of "tables" was the problem, and associated VBA code. (They ran fine in 2000 btw)
I solved it by buying (the reason for the bug?) and installing Excel 2002 on my home machine, deleting tables and VBA code in 2000, then opening the file in 2002, rebuilding tables and associated VBA code to run the tables, and resaving it.
then the file would open on other computers ok.
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back