Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000 crashes when I try and open it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinx79

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hi

I have a user who is having problems with Excel. When she tries to open Excel it seems to try and open some things from 'my documents'. The first thing it attempts to open is a directory (which it says it can't to) and then it attempts to open a word document. It tells us that the file is the wrong format and ask if we want to convert it. If I cancel this it then seems to try to open the root of C:\ and then generates an error and closes.
This happens only to one user and happens on any machine she logs on to. If I log into the machine as someone else Excel works fine. The version of office is 2000.

Under Program Files/Microsoft Office you should find somewhere a folder called xlstart.
Check if it is empty, it seems to contain some unwanted folders .(empty it before reopening XL)
Also try opening xl with the Shift key pressed, this will start XL without running macro's ( if any).
:-D

The following page is an excellent summary of all the different fixes for errors when starting Excel.

Given your explanation though, I would try using the first option on the site of opening excel in Safe Mode:-

CRIBBED STRAIGHT FROM CHIP'S SITE
1) Start Excel in Safe Mode. In this mode, Excel does not open add-ins or startup files, or command bar and customizations. To start Excel in Safe Mode, go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter the following:
Excel.exe /Safe

If you get a message indicating that Excel.exe cannot be found, you need to enter the entire folder directory path to Excel, enclosed in quotes. Enter something like the following. Your actual path may vary depending on your installation.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Safe

If Excel starts in Safe Mode, you can continue with the steps below to further diagnose and fix the problems

Once you have done this, then go look at Tools / Options / General and make sure there is nothing in the 'Alternate Start up File Location'

Then close Excel and restart normally.

Regards
Ken..........

Thanks for the replies. I will give them a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back