Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2000: Adding & Subtracting Time 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drm184

MIS
May 25, 2001
US
I am creating an automated time sheet in Excel 2000. The user enters their time in and out for the morning, and then their time in and out for the afternoon. (For example: In 7:00, Out 12:00, In 12:30, Out 14:30). It compute the number of hours that is and displays it like a time (i.e. 7:00). When I have it add up all the hours for the week though, if it goes over 24, then it starts back at 0 (i.e. if the total hours were 28, it would show 4 instead of 28). How can I correct this to show the total number of hours? Thanks for any help.

If you sum the column, then right click on the total and choose format cells and then time, there is a format which reads 37:30:55 - this seems to do what you want.

Relative to Drm184...I often use Excell 2000 to print the results of my sailing club's sailboat races, with this formula:
(Elapsed Time) minus (Boats Rating in Sec. Pr. Mile times the distance in miles) times 0.000011574
That last number is the reciprical of the number of seconds in 24 Hrs.
No one has ever explained to me why that fudge is necessary.
All I know is the formula will not be correct without it.

no no no no - not necessary at all - just use a custom format of [h]:mm
This will allow the hours to go over 24 - this works for all date and time formats - if you want to see a number greater than the intrinsic maximum (24 hours / 60 mins etc)
Rgds
~Geoff~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back