Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exceed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igaduma

Technical User
Nov 23, 2001
BE
Hello All,

Is there another (free) alternative to Exceed ?

Thanks!
Iga

Igaduma;

Read
thread60-1141887. Look what I posted there ( make sure to read it all, gives you settings you will need.) Works great. Exports the desktop to your system and it is free.

Also putty is not bad but I have never set it up to export the desktop.

Thanks

CA

Hello all,

I tried vnc some time ago, even had a vnc client on my mobile.
But, it somehow was not as snappy as I would like it to be.
Is this still the case ?
Also, I can't seem to find a license free version ?
realvnc.com seems you have to buy a license ?

I've read about having putty using ssh to forward X.
Does this demand much battling conf files & more fun stuff ?

No, I'm not too lazy to google me some answers, but it's nice to minimize the actual content I have to read :)

Igaduma;

Yes they do have free versions.
go to realvnc.com, left column under vnc click download it now. go to download and use at bottom of page, then just click proceed to download at the bottom of page.

For free I have no real issues with it.
If you want to pay for something you might get something a little better.

thanks

CA

I used cygwin once I believe it was called it's free and runs real smooth and fast.

I have ran Xdeep and didn't have any problems. I have also used cygwin and MI/X. And also Putty. But I prefer Exceed, then again you do pay for it. It isn't cheap.

The best pay software I have used is called Reflection X. I think you can download a 30 day free trial of it.

Hello All,

I've installed cygwin and just adapted the xdmcp .bat files in the X11 bin directory and whatdayaknow, instant happiness.
If you want to do this, make sure you install "X base installation" since it's not included in the standard cygwin installation.
Double clicking on shortcuts opens appropriate servers and putty now talks to the local X server and can forward X apps.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back