Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Example of ASP LDAP query string? 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeBronner

Programmer
May 9, 2001
US
Could someone post an example of ASP code used to query LDAP without any proprietary components?

Thanks! Take Care,
Mike

haha sorry.

i took off anonymous.
i have integrated windows authentication on.

question...if i do a

LDAP://sandc.ws in a web browser

it asks me to enter name or email to search in teh directory...i enter ny email and it says for me to check my connection.

is this normal?

im still trying to figure out why this thing donesnt work....

damn k i guess that last message was uselless since it has ntohing to do with it.....

would this code ahve a problem if there are 3 LDAP servers on our network?

ok i got it to work...here is my code
i had to use basic authentication.
is there a way so that the user doesnt have to keep entering thier user name and login?

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Option Explicit
Dim strUsername,con,rs,Com,objADsPath,objDomain,name,telephonenumber,mail,WshShell
%>
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<%

strUsername = Request.ServerVariables("auth_user")
response.write strUsername&"<br>"
strUserName = Right(strUserName, Len(strUserName) - InStrRev(strUserName, "\"))
Set objDomain = GetObject ("GC://rootDSE")
objADsPath = objDomain.Get("defaultNamingContext")
Set objDomain = Nothing
Set con = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
con.provider ="ADsDSOObject"
con.open "Active Directory Provider"
Set Com = CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
Com.ActiveConnection = con
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

response.write strUsername&"<br>"
response.write objADsPath&"<br>"

Com.CommandText ="select name,telephonenumber,mail from

'LDAP://OU=accounts,DC=toronto,"+objADsPath+"' where sAMAccountname='"+strUsername+"'"

response.write Com.CommandText&"<br>"

Set rs = Com.Execute
name=rs("name")
telephonenumber=rs("telephonenumber")
mail=rs("mail")
rs.Close
con.Close
Set rs = Nothing
Set con = Nothing

response.write name&"<br>"
response.write telephonenumber&"<br>"
response.write mail&"<br>"

%>
</body>
</html>

pReverend: did you get an answer of your problem, "Unspecified Error" when you include department in your LDAP query?

I got the same problem too. Could you help me?

The only way to make it so that the user is not initially prompted for a username and password is to use intergrated authentication. To successfully use this authentication method much needs to be taken into account. An article explaining some of this is located at:

I hope this helps

zcolton

thanks for all your help i learned a few things from this thread.

unfortunately after reviewing with my coworker and my boss we are not going to be useing the LDAP searches.

Thanks for you time.

zcolton,

could you help me, how to view department field using LDAP?
everytime I tried to get department data, I got "Unspecified Error".

here is my script.

<%
sub getXdata(xlogin)
Set cnvt = CreateObject("ADs.ArrayConvert")
set con=createobject("ADODB.Connection")
set rsLDAP = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")

con.provider="ADSDSOObject"
con.open

strSQL="<LDAP://dc=corp,dc=xxxxxxxxx,dc=com>;" &_
"(&(objectClass=user)(sAMAccountName="&xlogin &"));" &_
"mobile,mail,name,title,physicalDeliveryOfficeName,l,co,department;subtree"

rsldap.open strSQL,con,0,1,&H0001

while not rsldap.eof
For intLoop = 0 To rsldap.Fields.Count - 1
if rsLDAP(intLoop).type=12 and not isnull(rsLDAP(intLoop).value) then
cnvtvalue=cnvt.CStrArray(rsldap(intLoop).value)
for each itemvalue in cnvtvalue
select case intLoop
case 0 xHP=itemvalue
case 1 xmail=itemvalue
case 2 xname=itemvalue
case 3 xpos=itemvalue
case 4 xloc=itemvalue
case 5 xdept=itemvalue
end select
next
else
select case intLoop
case 0 xHP=rsldap(intLoop).value
case 1 xmail=rsldap(intLoop).value
case 2 xname=rsldap(intLoop).value
case 3 xpos=rsldap(intLoop).value
case 4 xloc=rsldap(intLoop).value
case 5 xdept=rsldap(intLoop).value
end select
end if
next
rsldap.movenext
wend

rsldap.close
con.close
end sub
%>

Instead of objectClass=user try objectCategory=person but I don't think it will make a differnece. I have noticed that some people have been getting errors retrieving the department field as if it was a security problem even though other fields can be retrieved. I have never ran into the problem.

Zcolton,

Thanks your response. You are right, this is security problem. After I changed setting of Application protection of IIS to "Low (IIS Process)". The problem is solved.

Thanks man.

ZColton,

Need your expertise again... I'm pulling user information from ADS with no problem, but 1 thing I need to pull is the manager field, now thats simple, problem is im getting the full DN for the manager field, when all I want is the givenName and sn. I get OU=...,CN=..., and so forth, I figured a second query but that doesnt seem to be working for me. Any thoughts?

Thanks
CN

zcolton, first of all I want to express how impressed I am with you helping so many people. I have frequented many forums in the past year, but I have never seen anyone as helpful are you are in this one thread alone.

As with many of the previous Posters, I am new to this portion of ASP. Anyway, what exactly needs to be done to your phonebook files in order to allow them to work like the NJ school example in one of the posts above? One of your posts mention that nothing needs to be done now because it is dynamically done for us. However, when I have loaded your files into my directory, nothing happens. I get no errors, and all of the pages simply display the default message at the top of the screen.

I am sorry. I forgot to add the basics. I created a director on my Win2kAdv Web Server. I checked basic authentication instead of windows integrated. I also had my Admin make sure that my anonymous account has the read-only access needed (he thinks it is done right anyway). I have not altered your code in anyway. We are running Active Directory. What else do you need to know?

HisMightiness,
Is you IIS server internet or intranet? - Is there anyway I can see the exact output you are getting?
A few comments -
Do you have the department field populated on your accounts?
Is your IIS server a domain member or controler?
Either go with Basic Authentication or anonymous.
For testing purposes: first set to basic, when it prompts for username and password, type in your domain username and password. See what happens. Then try using the username and password of the other domain account - the one that will be used as the anonymous account.

------------------------------------------------------------
CoolNutz,
I have not yet had the chance to take a look at your problem. I will get back to you. It's a bit busy around the office. I'm the only netadmin, 9 Win2k Servers, 1600 win98SE workstations, and I am migrating all 98 to XP this summer for next school year. I have been busy designing the entire AD tree fully configured with GPOs (and of course any and all software deployed will be done through GPO's only. - that's a lot of custom msi's for me to create - but that would be a different thread.)

Hello people,
I've done a simple asp identification form that check if a user exist against Active directory.
It takes username and password from the form then submit an sql query like this :
strSQL = "SELECT cn FROM 'GC://"+domainName+"' WHERE objectCategory='person' AND sAMAccountname ='"+userName+"' "
It works fine and return the complete name of the user.
Question: how can I know what group this user is a member of ?? (wich directory in the domain is he in)
What should be the sql ??
Thanks a lot for your time.

fredb32,
group membership and the ou that the user is in are two completely different things.
Are you looking to get one of these or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back