Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ExactEDI vs. Gentran: Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmEDI

Technical User
May 31, 2010
US
thread639-1295200

We are moving from an old Throughbred BASIC system to Progression. I reviewed some outbound issues, speifically the Non-automated ASN Shipment Header fields. Our account manager basically said that Gentran is no longer supported (since 2005), we would need to a)purchase customized templates for each partner, or b)move to Exact EDI. Can someone tell me how the Exact EDI interfaces with Progression, as I am assuming it would also require customized outbound formats. What has been your experience with Customer Support? Does it fully "automate" with Progression? Or will I still have to Manually Import the orders? Will it automate the send processes, or will we still need someone to manually create the 810/856s?

We are a pretty large company with over 30 trading partners, each having variying requirements. Managment does not want a lot of "unsupported" fixes.

Also, I have seen the Workflow Manager for ExactEDI that is supposed to automate this process. Does anyone know if this comes with ExactEDI, or is that yet another thing will need to purchase to make the system work as needed?

Once you make the decision to purchase ExactEDI, you will also need to purchase the "maps" for each of your trading partners. Depending on whether the map is already created by DataMasons or Exact will determine the price you will pay for each.

I'm pretty sure the Scheduler is in addition to the purchase of Exact EDI. And if I recall correctly, I think there are two flavors to the Scheduler....each with their own price.

For my purposes, I just use the vpConnect program to automate the upload and download of documents. I am still importing and exporting documents with Macola ES manually.

Jen

Have you purchased ExactEDI or Gentran:Server yet? Have you looked at EDI/HQ from 1EDISource?
We have been using ExactEDI for a couple of years now and are considering switching to something else. I have been looking at Gentran:Server and EDI/HQ. I want the ability to develop my own maps and that is not an option with ExactEDI (to my knowledge). If you add 10 new trading partners a year the cost of having "kits' developed can get expensive.

elj4176, we use Gentran:Server,Although I can do some mapping at the transltor, what I have run into is that most of the customizations are in Macola. Puchasing Gentran is great for stuff like print templates and such, but you will still have to order the customer formats for the outbound transactions, i.e. 810/880/856. (gets expensive)

I sat through a ExactEDI Presentation. However, after ten years of EDI/IT, I am very much the skeptic. Is anyone using it with large box chain retailers/grocery? How is the turnaround time for new trading partner "kits"? Does this really interface with Progression (the example was with Exact ES) they way they say? I would really like the imput to know what I might be facing. Any comments, positive/negative/neutral would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks.

We are using ExactEDI with all the big name retailers and a few grocers. It depends on how complicated the TP's requirements are and whether or not the kit has already developed for someone else. For some it has been as quick as a week and other has been several weeks.
We are on Progression with no plans to move to ES anytime soon. It integrates well since both are SQL on the backend.
I have some gripes about the software but overall it works ok for us. They are constantly updating and adding functionality to ExactEDI. We are still considering moving away from it to EDI HQ from 1EDISource.

elj4176: I am curious to know what your complaints may be.

We trade with most major retailers as well as grocers and a variety of smaller customers. Our business structure and operations hinges on EDI processing and we cannot afford to incur chargebacks while waiting for a "fix" to mapping (which is what we are seeing using the Gentran EDI formats). I have heard that Excat may have a mapping tool in development, and if so that would be a wonderful addition to have.

There doesn't appear to be a way to contact you away from the forum. I'm hesitant to air my complaints in a public forum. What might be a complaint for me might be a "feature" for someone else. The best way to say it is that the software seems to be a work in process - in my opinion.
I wouldn't hold my breathe over the mapping tool. They told us that 2 years ago when we bought the software and we still have not seen it. That is part of the reason we are looking at alternatives.
I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail if you can tell me how to contact you off the forum (and not attract spammers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back