Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evil infection? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamichel

Technical User
Aug 9, 2003
US
I just opened my email to find out that I had ~100 undelivered messages(???) they all were sent with a garbled name @ my corporate account - which is forwarded to my personal email address.

Norton AV showed nothing after a full scan, and is supposed to be monitoring my incoming/outgoing mail/

SpyBot showed nothing.

Ad-Aware showed nothing.

All of the undeliverables were sent to AOL addresses.

What/where do I check next?
I'm sure that there are some people out there who got an email from "me" about how to enhance their body parts and aren't very happy about that.
How do I make it stop?

George

Are your definitions for the AV up to date to catch the latest virus'

I think/hope so, NAV 'calls home' every week for updates.

Just to make sure, run a couple of these online scans faq760-3862.

Chances are, someone that you know has a virus that is doing this. The virus is probably faking the From information and randomly sending itself. When the messages get bounced by the server, they are returned to the fake From - aka you.

If this is the case, there's not much that you can do about it. Just remind everyone that could have you in their address book to keep their antivirus updated.

Spammers also fake the "From" address so that its harder to trace.

Thanks Smah
I spent hours downloading and running the programs you pointed me to - seems like the problem isn't on my computer but I hate it that my corporate address was hijacked and that I don't know how it happened.
The flood of undeliverables is slowing to a trickle now...

Enjoy your star!
George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back