Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Everything working except incoming mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulwood

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
GB
Internal mail works, sending external mail works, but all incoming external mail produces an Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 error

So I telnetted in and RCPT'd to an account and it validated, but sent a Status: 5.0.0 error back to the external account. I have gone through everything I can think of, but can't figure it out. Any ideas?

You said you telnetted to your Exchange and it worked but did you do it from a server OUTSIDE of your lan ? It can be your firewall or your MX records that's causing your the problems. First from a pc outside of your lan, try to telnet straight to your exchange IP. Do your tests and if it works, then we know your firewall is ok. If not, make sure you are allowing SMTP to pass through your firewall and be directed to the proper server. If it works, now make sure your MX records are ok by going to and do a lookup on your MX records and Host(A) records.

If I try and telnet from outside the lan I get through but get 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for <name of email account> when I try and rcpt to: a valid email address.

This means the firewall is OK and SMTP is passing through, so it must be that the settings for the domain haven't taken on the Exchange server I guess. I thought it was set up OK, any suggestions as to what to check and/or re-apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back