Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Everything worked just fine until I installed XP(both Home and Pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankensteinCompaq

Technical User
May 10, 2006
US
As my name suggests, A Compaq Presario that likely doesn't even recognize itself ever knowing any "Comm-Pack". The only thing left that is orig is the MOBO and the Compaq case (Oh, and an MV 720 17" CRT) that is, at least mine is, better than average. Okay...onto my point.
Mobo unknown except Northbridge is Irongate, South is VIA 82C686A
CPU-Athlon-900MHZ Slot A(upgrade from Athlon-550MHZ)
Video Card-Chaintech Geforce3Ti200(upgrade)
Sound Card-SoundBlaster PCI 512(upgrade from PCI 16)
RAM-384MB System Total brand unknown PC133(1x256;1x128)
(upgrade from 2 PC100 each 1x128)
Storage Devices(both upgrades)(both ATA 100)
-40Gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
-30Gig Western Digital Caviar (7200rpm)
CD Drives(both original)
-DVD drive(just drive) it did its job fine anyway
-CD:R/RW drive that was once considered fast at 4x(top speed)
Now onto the nitty gritty: from looking it all over again, most of you reading this would have A LOT of trouble believing that I could run games (Hi end ones-only kind) better than a system that had double everything where it counted (CPU,Video,RAM even DDR,etc) I only believe it because I saw it time and time again vs my girlfriend's computer. Okay...so you get the point that everything is way more than fine...and so I went ahead and did the dumbest thing I have ever done...an OS upgrade from Me to XP(both Home and Pro). As soon as the XP installer would complete, it would not recognize the Geforce driver(duh, different OS) and set its display to standard VGA. I have tried SEVERAL different detonator drivers for the Geforce (27.30 came with card), 28.32, 30.82, and most of the hi 30s and low 40s.) and EACH DANG TIME it would say something about a parity error. Yeah, I know: everyone always says the same one word: memory. I have tweaked that card so high (mem and clk) nvidia would arrest me and I have stressed overstressed and even called out nasty names to my RAM modules. Nothing wrong (when back in Millennium that is.) Is my computer possesed or is there a solution that I am overlooking? Please help. Thanks so much in advance!!

MJC

Okay...cool...thanks! Umm...so WHY does it do that? I mean, what is happening or what is not agreeing with what and why? Also, can you use Forceware drivers for cards as old as mine (GeF3Ti200)? Wow...I hope it works! Gotta go try, see ya...thanks again!

MJC

I don't know where you got your other drivers from but it could be that they're not Windows XP-specific drivers, in which case they might work but might not.

The current drivers are 'unified' which means that the single installer covers a whole range of nVidia cards, including the GeForce 3. I have heard that for some old cards the newer releases don't always perform quite as well as older versions because nVidia concentrates on optimising them for newer cards, but they should still work without crashing. It's best to start with the latest version and if you're not happy with the performance work back through older versions until you find one that you're happy with.

Regards

Nelviticus

Are you installing AMD's motherboard chipset drivers for that Irongate 751/761 Northbridge?
Perhaps you need to visit and download the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website or alternatively download from ADM themselves see:

Perhaps you could supply more information.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back