Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Every other row in excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sap1958

Technical User
Oct 22, 2009
US
I have an excel spreadsheet(pre 2007) with 100 names. I need to place a space between every other row

sample data before spacing
Smith John 804-556-4455
Smith Harry 804-222-5555

sample data after spacing
Smith John 804-556-4455

Smith Harry 804-222-5555

I also want to put borders in the blank space area but I can do a copy and paste later. The important thing is to do the every other row spacing

If you select each INDIVIDUAL row while holding Ctrl untill you have selected all your data, then right click on a row number and select insert.
This will put a blank cell in between each set of data.

As for the border issue, rather than using copy & paste i would use format painter.
Format the border under the first set of data, then select the first set of data and the cells below it, click on format painter (should be just to the right of your paste icon on your toolbar)
then just select the rest of your data.

Impossible is Nothing

Add a column to the left.

In the first cell type 1. In the second cell type 2. Highlight both cells and drag the fill handle to the bottom row of your data. Column will be numbered 1,2,3,4..... and so on

While this column is still highlighted, select copy (or Ctrl-C), and then go down to the first empty row and hit paste.

Now sort your data using that column and you will have empty rows between everything.

Delete the column that you had inserted.

A man has only two choices: He can be right or he can be happy.

Hi elhelp,

This is such a coll way of doing it....Thx

[pipe] "We know nothing but, that what we know is not the truth..." - Me

As a matter of practice, I STRONGLY advise against any table of data having empty rows or columns.

THe cosmetic affect of spacing is much better handled by expanding the ROW HEIGHT, to give the appearance of an empty row.

Having actual empty rows can render many of Excel's features ineffective.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back