Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ever see this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darag2358

Technical User
Jul 12, 2000
US
I have a user who opens a certain Excel 97 workbook and a shortcut of the spreadsheet automatically gets placed on his NT desktop. It only happens with this one spreadsheet, which has no VBA coding. I tried searching the web and I saw one other person that had the same issue post the issue in a different forum, but no one ever responded to his post. Any ideas?

I ran into something very similar to this yesterday, only it was happeing with Word. Are you getting a small alert window that tells you to "insert a disk into drive X" (where x is a removable drive like a ZIP?). Anyway, the user stated that it would also put shortcuts to his documents on his desktop.

I finally determined that something somewhere was corrupted with his Office 97 install and upgraded him to Office 2000 making sure that no ZIP disk was in his drive. This seems to have corrected the problem. Hope it works for you.

The Cybercop

Nope not getting any message like that and unfortunately I wouldn't be able to upgrade his office version. Now he is reporting to me that he occasionally saves an image to his c:\temp folder that he uses to copy to email, and it also creates a shortcut to the image file on his desktop. Sounds like a Windows issue, but not sure where to begin. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back