Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

eventserveradmin.sh setup query

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashishmalik

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2005
US
Hi all,

We are using Mercator 6.7.1 on HPUX. I want to configure a new event server (setting up resource config file etc.). I came to know that we need to use eventserveradmin.sh for the same.

Can anyone please point me how to do the same. I tried using it via HumminBird Exceed. It gave me the following error:

/opt/mercator/instance4/bin : Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect
to X11 window server using '53.75.134.31:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:58)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:53)
at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.<clinit>(MToolkit.java:63)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:507)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:498)
at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(ImageIcon.java:115)
at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(ImageIcon.java:134)
at com.mercator.eventserver.gui.EventServerAdmin.<init>(EventServerAdmin.java:36)
at com.mercator.eventserver.gui.EventServerAdmin.main(EventServerAdmin.java:112)..

53.75.134.31 is the IP address of my own machine.

Any pointers in this direction will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ashish

Can you use Hummingbird to connect to other xterm programs on the box? When I've encountered this in the past it's been a firewall issue, either on the box or my machine. In that case, it's time to talk with your friendly admin...

Hi Jmenning,

Thanks for the reply. I am relatively very new to xterm actually. I tried the following commands and the results are:

merc4@s96csmwi:export DISPLAY=53.75.134.31
merc4@s96csmwi:xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s

merc4@s96csmwi:export DISPLAY=53.75.134.31:0

merc4@s96csmwi:export DISPLAY=53.75.134.31:0.0

merc4@s96csmwi:export DISPLAY=53.75.134.31:10.0

Does it gives any more pointers?

Thanks and Regards,
Ashish

Could be a firewall problem?
53.75.134.31:0.0 is the right format for the DISPLAY variable, but is this the value of your PC - are you connecting over the internet? Maybe its a problem with NATing?

Generally I find XWindows easier to use if you tunnel it through an SSH connection - you just need to make sure that that tunneling is allowed in both the SSH client and SSH server.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back