Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Events and Windows NT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KreativeKai

Programmer
Nov 12, 2004
US
I have coded a combo box to auto complete based on a collection of names that I load. The combo box is working great in Windows XP, but when we run the same application in NT the events for the combo box don't seem to all work. Are there some events that do not work in NT but work on 2000 / XP? If so is there a compatibility list somewhere that we can refer to?

Any help or feedback is appreciated.

Lost in the Vast Sea of .NET

Visit my website at www.komputing.com

Try making sure the other machine is running the same .net service pack as the XP machine.

Chip H.

Yes, we've actually double checked the framework service packs and they are the same as the XP machine. The NT image is 4.0 SP6a with framework 1.1 and all the patches.

Any other suggestions?

Upgrade to Win2k? :)

-Rick

----------------------
[banghead]If you're about to post an ASP.Net question,
please don't do it in the VB.Net forum[banghead]

[monkey] I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Microsoft has been working with us for a few days with a MSDN call. The information that has come out of their research is that service pack 6a along with framework 1.1 and the patch for 1.1 is not enough. The version of user32.dll (which contains the win32 ComboBox) is not up to date to function correctly. Microsoft’s security patch Q834852 ( ) updates the user32.dll to correct the problem.

I'm not sure why a security patch fixes combobox functionality, but I guess the moral of the story is that ALL security patches need to be applied when testing a VB application.

What was wierd was that our application did not work on the NT system we created, but when we installed Office 2000 the VB application worked. Office 2000 updated the user32.dll. We worked with Microsoft to find a solution, other than installing Office, to make our VB app function correctly. The security patch is what they recommended.

Interesting -- I would never have suspected that.

Thanks for posting what you found.

Chip H.

Wow, I'm actually amazed that you could even get support on NT 4. What is it now, 12 years old?

But yeah, update all patches. I had a VB6 app that failed for a customer becuase they were running Novel 3.1 on Windows NT workstation. They patched to 3.3 and everything was fine. Well, other then them using an unsecure 8 year old networking system.

-Rick

----------------------
[banghead]If you're about to post an ASP.Net question,
please don't do it in the VB.Net forum[banghead]

[monkey] I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back