Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eventlistener

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashthud

Programmer
Oct 6, 2008
GB
There appears to be no native way of creating an event-listener to listen for, for the sake of arguement, a mouse-hover. Is there anyway i can add an event listener to foxpro... the only workaround i can think of, is to create a timer; on every tick check for cursor pos or something... but even then, id be using a workaround to achieve the timer. ARGH!

A workaround is a basically a kludge... but a workaround achieved by a workaround is plain crap programming, isnt it?

Ashthud

lol =P There appears to be alot of Move-to-VFP-talk or even a MTVFP clan, i dont know... i can only say: i wish i could, but i can't.

Incidently, how does VFP handle events?

Ashthud

What you have to realize, is that Foxpro 2. x for Windows is basically Foxpro for DOS with a GUI layer added on top. It doesn't really interact with the OS.
Since there were really no such thing as events for DOS at the software level, there are really no events for Fox Windows.

VFP was built around the Windows API rather than DOS in that it uses Windows level 'windows' for every control. So being basically integrated into Windows, it can utilize or incorporate Windows events and messages from the OS level.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

"There appears to be alot of Move-to-VFP-talk"

Yes you are correct.

What you are trying to do is similar to getting a Neanderthal to learn how to program a VCR.

Every business has to analyze the business-criticalness of an application and decide when continuing the struggle to 'push it ever forward' is not cost effective - especially when the inherent functionality was never there in the first place and when the development support network has LONG ago fallen off dramatically through our own migration to 21st century products.

In the end, the migration will end up resulting in a lower net development cost and you will end up with an application which is currently supportable and for which today's functionality is standard.

Keeping an old application ALIVE is perfectly OK, but hoping to get today's functionality into one is not terribly cost-effective nor realistic.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I love to problem solve!!

When i started work @ my current company and started using foxpro 2.6a for windows everything was so foreign and WEIRD i dint like how limited it was!!

I bought my own copy of foxpro 2.6 for home... sad i know.. but i am a hobbyist programmer... Just like when i exercise or watch TV i know it may not be beneficial to my work, but i just do it... for fun!

I dont mind being inefficient @ home, i just like trying 2 solve problems...

@ work i would love for my company to upgrade to VFP9
@ home i will continue using fpw2.6 until i get bored

Ashthud

Ashtud,

nothing against using/learning old stuff as a hobby. But in another thread you said you're an apprentice, so you learn a profession, and you should learn .NET, not even VFP9. Additional to that you should learn XML and UML. You can learn SQL and other parts of foxpro that stay valid. Learning and having fun at solving problems is not bad in general. It's what most of use drive here, not only the "MTVFP" clan.

I may be a little harsh to you, let me apologize. On the other side I'm not offended and my I think also "our" main concern - although I can only speak of myself - is just to at least point out, that you do stuff you shouldn't do, even for learning the job. In fact it seems your company is making use of you, I don't know if I already should say they exploit you. But they should teach you stuff you can use in the next 5-10 years of your career. As I already said, if I were you I'd move away, even if it's fun, you're learning stuff you may not be able to use for any other company.

Bye, Olaf.

As you might guess, I agree with Olaf.

You might love to fix 1958 Ford Edsel's as a hobby, but you won't get much work in a modern garage with those talents.

And any garage which told you that you could only fix Edsels for them would be making an extremely poor business decision.

If the old FP application is critical to business operations at work and you are not given the luxury of realistic time to convert it to .NET, then at least convert it to VFP9 which would take a considerably shorter migration time.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Cheers, i do appreciate your opinion and you make very good points. Btw i am really amazed how much attention you have paid to my posts =D.

Tbh, i dont have any career plans, my contract will end in 3 years, afterwards, i will have no idea what else i will do.

In fact, its funny that you listed useful skills to have, because yesterday i was asking about "which is the best programming language"... everyone at work had an opinion.

Ashthud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back