Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 6008 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeborahCurry

Technical User
Jul 6, 2000
GB
Visit site
Greetings<br><br>Is there anyway of changing the above event id when a server shuts down unexpectedly, as &quot;the previous dirty shutdown was unexpected&quot; doesn't really tell you much :)<br><br>I've looked on the microsoft web page, but it doesn't say much, so I thought I'd ask you guys.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Bobb

There's nothing to do with this log entry. You can add to the log by installing more management funtionality like with SNMP or RMON. A dirty shutdown can happen for many reasons but if you have an UPS that will trap and send messages to a pager (and make a log entry) then you're getting more function. See what I mean? If you want more information then add more management but if you want to just control what goes into the log - why?

The reason I asked about this is that we have a site that seems to be crashing all the time without reason, and I was hoping that the error 6008 was actually a bug or something and there was something that I could do to make the reporting a little more user friendly.&nbsp;&nbsp;This server does have powerchute, but it's nothing to do with the power going off of the system.&nbsp;&nbsp;The system just grinds to a complete halt for no reason.<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>Bobb

Even while you're poking around to see if someone installed anything new, reinstall SP6a. What has changed? Software? Hardware? Anything! - is the NIC plugged into the same port? Is there any remote control installed on this server - like PCAnyWhere? You either try to move the problem or just reinstall everything and start over. If you can determine what changed and in what order start with the last change and reverse it (try to move it) - use a different cable, plug into a different port, reverse the software setup that was chosen - do something (just one - don't change more than one &quot;thing&quot;). If its one of those mysterious glitches (and absolutely nothing has changed), try using a different power source - not just the other plug in the outlet - make sure it's a completely separate line - I've experienced &quot;dirty power&quot; that can make a server act pretty weird.

Thanks again<br><br>I've noticed that they are having momentary sags, momentary spikes and a blackout on their powerchute log recently, so could this be a problem?<br><br>Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back