Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 5719 - Not enough storage? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBousman1

Programmer
Apr 16, 2008
US
Every once in awhile we notice this error in our Event Viewer. When this error kicks off, all the printers associated with this server have a status of ERROR and none of the end users can print until we restart the server. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information about this issue. It used to be happening on multiple servers but now it seems to have gone away on all of them except this one server. Does anyone have any ideas?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5719
Date: 5/12/2008
Time: 9:52:56 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TWHTAPPPDS1
Description:
This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain HCA due to the following:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

ADDITIONAL INFO
If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain controller in the specified domain.

Yeah this happened while we were still on 1GB of RAM before we added the second GB. One of the other servers that was giving us this issue ended up having their server crash so we installed a brand new server for them and since then the error hasn't surfaced.

These servers aren't the highest level and we don't have access to those higher level domain controllers so there's nothing I can do there, plus if it's just one server, I would think it would have something to do with this server.

I'm going to run another disk check and set the virtual memory to a custom range of Initial: 3070 & Maximum: 6141 and then wait and see what happens.

BB

Brand new server = different hardware ?

Would be grateful if you would let me know the outcome.

DDIRR

Yeah different hardware but also a fresh install of the OS so it could be hardware or software related. This occurs about every 2-3 days so by Wednesday we should see the error again if it does happen. I'll keep you guys posted.

Perhaps there is something useful
----------
Im experiencing issues with a 2003 member server in a 2003 Mixed AD. Every 7-14 days I get the following errors:
This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain [domain] due to the following: Not enough storage is available to process this command.

(...) actually nullsessionpipes key is helpful if you want an application that is started using the system account, it logs on with null credentials.
so u can add the applications there and some entries are automatically added.
The cause of these errors is the result of too much data stored in the following key in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer \Parameters\NullSessionPipes

NOTE: The above registry key is one path; it has been wrapped for readability.

The Server service queries the registry value above for its entries. The buffer for the amount of information that the Server service can accept when it queries is approximately 32 KB. If there are more than 32 KB in that entry, the Server service will fail to start and return the error "More data is available," or "Not enough storage is available."
RESOLUTION
The solution is to remove any unnecessary entries from this value in the registry, or apply (or reapply) the latest Windows NT Service pack.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

When I look at the server that's giving us trouble and compare that registry key with the server that we just installed, they are the same:

COMNAP
COMNODE
SQL\QUERY
SPOOLSS
netlogon
lsarpc
samr
browser

So I don't think that would be causing the issue. The server is running with a minimum of 3070MB for Virtual Memory so hopefully that'll allow it to not give us that error, just have to wait and see.

If you do get that error please advise us of the preceding message in your event logs.

BBousman1

Try to disable Symantec Antivirus for few days. And give us an answer.

GenyaP,
I don't have rights to disable it, plus I don't think my boss would like that. But on a good note, it's been 3 days and it hasn't crashed again so hopefully it will make it through the day and be fine from here on out. I'll keep you all updated.

BB

The error message in the event log is a generic one. It doesn't necessarily have to do with hard drive storage, but any kind of storage. I assume that since you are connecting to a DC that the printers have some sort of security permissions tied to them even if it is just Domain Users. I don't know how many security groups your users are members of including nested groups, but if there are a lot then you can run out of storage for your security token. Here is something you can try on a workstation that is having the problem. It will have no adverse affects on anything else.

Set this registry key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Kerberos\Parameters

Add a DWORD key MaxTokenSize with a hex value of FFFF.

Reboot the computer and see how it goes.

I looked up the setting i was trying to remember the other day, its irpstack size.

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
Name: IRPStackSize
Type: REG_DWORD

If its a 2003 server around 30 is a nice value, the default is pretty low for a server these days.

Well I do have some good news, I tried setting the Virtual Memory to System Managed Size but it still didn't work so then I set the minimum to 1.5x the RAM and the maximum to 3x the RAM it has since not gone down. Usually it will happen every 3-4 days, the last time it went down was a week ago so things are looking good. If it happens again, I'll repost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back