Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event id: 4320

Status
Not open for further replies.

1inNetworking

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
IN
I hv a windows 2000 server with 60 client pcs. I'm getting the following error.

Event ID: 4320
Source: NetBT
Description: Another machine has sent a name release message to this
machine probably because a duplicate name has been
detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the node
that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a
command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

Address shown in hexadecimal code is changing.

I tried all the options given on microsoft site like deleting mib files, re-creating dhcp scope, deleting static mappings in wins and so on. Nothing seems to work. Also applied the reqd patches. Anybody can help me.

Thanks in advance

Forgot to mention that my network is crawling because of this. So, I cannot ignore this error and continue. Pls help.

thanks for the response. but as i said earlier the ip address shown in hexadecimal code is not same. It keeps changing. There is no duplicate name on the network.

Hello 1inNetwork,

As mentioned in the msdn page:

You seem to have verified most of the thing, except maybe this:
<quote>
If a computer was configured for a name but the ipconfig -all command returned a different host name, go to the Registry editor and change the computer name in the TCP/IP parameters section.
</quote>
Have you verified the output from the cmdline of ipconfig -all?

regards - tsuji

Hi tsuji,

I checked this from all the pcs(ip address shown in the error) from where this message. I checked in the server also for confirmation. Name shown with the command is same as how it was configured to be. This error started coming 2 weeks back and since then everyday I have to clear the event log file. Tircky problem. Any clues..........

Thnx

Hello 1inNetworking,

Have you check out the older article Q120752. There is a procedure to locate the computer in conflict with nbtstat -a. Those as you said in your first posting, the ip is varying, have you at least attempt to locate it.

Also in that article, it said <quote> NOTE: This error message is generated in many cases due to normal circumstances, and should not be cause for alarm.</quote> What can you say with MS saying something like this. But, it certainly won't impress people having to clear the log.

regards - tsuji

Hi tsuji

If you check my previous message I said in all pcs(IP addresses shown in the error) i.e, from where the server says it got a release message. I checked the ipconfig -all command and nbtstat command from those machines only apart from server. I read that q120752 on the first day and ignored the error as microsoft said. But after 3 days it seemed to slow down my network logon. And this error comes every minute. I dont see any other error for the slow network. Could not figure out what else could be the reason. Thank you for response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back