Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 4015 - DNS and Active Directory issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishHairyMan

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2005
AE
We have just taken on the IT support of a small company with circa 30 users. They are running SBS 2003 SP1 with 2003 Server SP1 and Exchange SP2 installed all other updates as recommended by MS are also installed.

Users have been complaining of slow logons (up to 20 mins) which we so far we have attributed to old and poorly administered client PC's, but whilst looking over the server config i noticed errors occuring every 5 mins in the DNS Event Viewer.

Event ID 4004 - The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "000020EF: SvcErr: DSID-020D0731, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data 0". The event data contains the error.

Event ID 4015 - The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "000020EF: SvcErr: DSID-020D0731, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data 0". The event data contains the error.

In DNS the Reverse lookup zone will not load with an error - The DNS server encountered a problem when attempting to load the zone. The Zone data may not be available in active directory or the zone data is corrupt.

I cannot reload the zone (greyed out) or do anything else with it. If i try and deleted the reverse lookup zone i get a message telling me the Active Directory service is not available.

I have run DCDIAG and only get 1 error which i am not sure is pertinant to an SBS installation

Starting test: Services
IsmServ Service is stopped on [ANOTHERCO]
......................... ANOTHERCO failed test Services

Any ideas would be great.

check and make sure your domain controller that has the DNS server installed on it has all the roles, mainly the Domain naming operations master role. If it don't seize FSMO roles using the ntdsutil.exe command. Once you do this I would uninstall and install DNS to that server. If this is the only DNS server, don't reboot when you uninstall.

With SBS always use the Wizards, it can get very upset if things are changed outside of the wizards. Personally I'd try running the CEICW (aka Configure Email and Internet Connection wizard) first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back