Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID 37 Kernal Processor power error and black screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

feltonam

MIS
Oct 1, 2003
GB
I have a Samsung Q320 which has recently started to switch itself off at random - no blue screen, just goes off. I have to use the power button to restart and it boots into Windows as normal.

The event viewer systems log reports a Kernal Processor Power
event ID 37, details:
'The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 2 seconds since the last report'

I have removed unwanted software and startup items, checked the RAM is seated properly, run checks on the HD, Memory and all Samsung utility diagnostics, also Avast and Malwarebytes - all OK. Any help welcome.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 build 7601, Intel Core 2 duo CP T6500 @2.10ghz, BIOS is latest version BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 06LH.M017.20100428.KSY, 28/04/2010

Based on your description of the issue and the power of Google, there appears to be a lot of posts on this topic, 90% of which point to an over-temp condition... (the rest were out of date drivers and BIOS).

Is the laptop running hot?

Are the cooling fans running?

Check the cooling vents for flotsam & jetsam... Make sure they're clean!

Also, only use a laptop on a hard surface. Soft surfaces like pillows or a a bed, or having it on your lap can block the cooling vents and cause an over-temp condition.

Mike

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

Thanks for prompt reply Mike. I have suspected hot running on occassions, but can hear the fan and feel hot air blowing out. Maybe the fan is not working well enough.

I've installed CoreTemp gadget, tells me the TJ. max for my processor is 90 degrees C. and each of my cores is currently running between 48 and 67 degrees. I've set it to warn me on overheating to unacceptable level and will post progress over the next few days. Don't know how hard it is to change the fan on a laptop?

Don't know how hard it is to change the fan on a laptop?"

It depends. Some are quite easy with the fan being accessible after the keyboard is removed. Others you have to strip darn near every part off the laptop to get to it. Fun times, the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back