Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event ID: 115: Cannot bind instance "x" in IIS 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thilton

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2003
US
Hello All,

I have Win2K Server with IIS 5.0 installed. I've configured 5 IP addresses to this box and can communicate over the network and via the internet just fine. I've setup 2 websites in IIS and copied the data files from another production IIS 5.0 server, which has a site with an SSL Cert associated with it. When I try to start the new website in IIS I get the following error:

Source: W3SVC Event ID:115
The service could not bind instance 2. The data is the error code.

I've searched the MS KB for this and found one article that describes this error when using Host HEaders and SSL but it pertains to IIS 4.0 for NT, not IIS 5.0. Can anyhone please shed some light on this subject or point me in the right direction? I've checked all applications installed on this box and to my knowledge, nothing else is using these IPs. I was a bit concerned regarding the website that has the SSL cert associated with it but I didn't thinkl that copying the websfiles to another server would cause such problems.

Any help is appreciated.

Troy Hilton

Did you import the SSL certificate to the new server. Also does the SSL site have a specific IP address assigned to it rather tahn using host headers?

Also make sure none of the other sites are using the same IP address as your SSL site.

No, I didn't import the cert. The SSL site does have a static IP assigned that is not shared with anything else. I'll try importing the cert.

Thanks!

The SSL site NEEDS to have an IP assigned to it that is not shared with any of the other sites or it will not work. This is what is causing the error but you must also import the cert to use with the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back